I was very surprised to receive a Liebster Award from Erika at Ever-changing Life of a Mum. I had seen her blog pop up a couple of times recently but with getting ready to return to school this week I haven’t had a lot of time to read other blogs, concentrating on writing and posting my own. I have since learnt that Erika is a local (Melbourne based) mum with an awesome post about getting rid of head lice! A post I will no doubt have to refer too again, around about term 2 of the school year!
To participate in the award, each nominee has to follow 6 simple rules:
I received a Liebster Award in my second month of blogging last year and chose not to complete it as I didn’t even know another 11 bloggers to nominate so this time I feel a little bit more comfortable and I’m going to give it a crack!
1. How did you choose your blog name?
I wanted to incorporate something in the name that highlighted we were a family of 3 kids and that it was a travel blog and I was throwing around a few different names. I was talking to my husband about them and he said why don’t you call it our3kidsvtheworld. That was it, the name was decided upon. Sometimes I wonder if its a bit long but hey, the business cards are printed now so that’s it!
2. How long have you been blogging?
I started this blog in April 2014. So not quite 12 months yet. It was a hard slog at the beginning but I am starting to feel like its going somewhere now. Time will tell.
3. What do you love about your blog?
It keeps me focused on what I love and that’s travelling. I have always loved travelling and for a long time I didn’t due to the expense being a family of 5. One day I was reading another travel blog and I thought we can do this, we just need to think of different ways to do it. So I have learnt to love camping! I’m a fair weather camper though, that will never change.
4. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
New York! Hands down. Having said that I would give anywhere a chance. We moved to Sydney in 2010 when my husband got a promotion, we loved it there but after 2 years we decided it would be best to come home for various reasons to do with family and lifestyle. I would go anywhere but I will always return to Melbourne so that the kids know and spend time with their family. Change is good, it keeps it interesting.
5. What was the last book you read and movie you saw?
Trafficked, about an English girl that was trafficked into sexual slavery in Italy by her boyfriend. A friend gave it to me, it was a sad story. I subscribe to Australian Travellers Magazine and International Travellers Magazine so spend a bit of time reading these (and dreaming of holidays!).
The last movie I saw was Paddington. The only movies I ever see are with the kids. I’m not a huge movie person but if I do see any, I prefer romantic comedies but Craig thinks they’re a waste of money to see at a cinema!
6. Where do you like to go on holiday?
I’m a city girl at heart. I like to see things so I often find that my holidays are just a little bit busy. I always say that I need to slow down a bit but then I just don’t want to miss out on anything! It drives Craig crazy! Every year I say I’m going to book a beach holiday and it hasn’t happened yet! Last year we had 5 days at a resort in Kota Kinabalu and that was lovely but I couldn’t do that the whole time (well actually I didn’t, I also booked a snappy day trip to Sandakan to see the orangutans).
7. What was the first concert you ever attended?
It was at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl and it was an Aussie band collaboration including, Crowded House, Hunters & Collectors, Midnight Oil and a few others. I cant remember what it was for but I remember I was in high school and we were all sitting on the lawn as we had general admission tickets and not seated tickets. Sidney Myer Music Bowl was an awesome venue for music but unfortunately its not used that much any more. I do clearly remember Roxette and seeing Lenny Kravitz at Rod Laver Arena! They were the days! I saw Bernard Fanning at the Melbourne Zoo last week and later this month we are off to see the Foo Fighters!
8. Cats or dogs?
Dogs, nothing more to be said! We have a puppy, a golden retriever cross border collie that we adopted from the local animal hospital. She was only 15 weeks old and she is just lovely. She’s still a puppy but she has a beautiful nature and the kids love her. She has the colouring of a golden retriever and legs of a collie. She’s a great dog, we have been really lucky.
9. Sweet or savoury?
Depends what time of the day but generally sweet!
10. If you had one day to yourself, how would you spend it?
Who remembers the mystery flights? For those of you that are too young or don’t live in Australia, the mystery flights were when the airlines charged $100 and you booked a date that suited you. You would get confirmation of a flight a few days before the date and the destination was a surprise. I loved them. If I had a day to myself I would love to do that again. From Melbourne you generally got either Adelaide, Hobart or Sydney but if you were real lucky you might have gotten Brisbane and I heard of one person who got Darwin. It filled up the flights and you got a day interstate so it was fun.
11. If you could invite 3 celebrities to a dinner party who would they be?
Wow this is hard. Tom Williams because I think he’s hot. He has also travelled a lot so while I’m drooling at him he will have great stories to talk about. Richard Branson because I read his book and I love that he takes so many risks and has so much confidence in his own abilities. The last would have to be Pete Evans (famous Aussie chef) because I can’t cook and I would want to make sure someone cooks great food to serve to Tommy and Dick!
1. I travelled solo on a working holiday visa to the UK when I was 19 years old.
2. I collected travel brochures from when I was 7 years old.
3. Getaway and the Great Outdoors were my favourite shows growing up.
4. I had 3 interviews to be an air hostess and never got the job! Its still not out of my system, I suggested applying for Etihad the other week when they were advertising and my sister laughed and said they don’t take families of 5 in the shared accommodation they offer!
5. I have genetic alopecia.
6. I pray every night that my girls don’t have my genetic alopecia!
7. My favourite colour is yellow.
8. I started running in May 2014, I can now run 5kms.
9. I love road trips.
10. I love birds.
11. I saved this for last to give you a laugh, I don’t like flying but it gets me from point A to point B! Hence there’s a reason I never got the air hostess job I would think!
1. Where’s your next holiday destination?
2. Why did you choose that destination?
3. Suitcase or backpack?
4. When did you start your blog?
5. What’s the best advice/tip you have received about blogging from other bloggers?
6. What’s the biggest obstacle you have come across during your blogging career?
7. Where was your most memorable holiday?
8. Your favourite social media platform for blogging and why?
9. If money was not object, where would you love to go?
10. Summer or winter?
11. List 3 of your favourite travel blogs that you currently follow.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks again to Ever-changing Life of a Mum for nominating me. Good luck to the 11 nominees and I look forward to reading your answers to my questions.