We’ve had a big year here at our3kidsvtheworld, its not until you stop and look back that you realise just how much we have done. Before we get into our yearly wrap up, I want to thank our followers for coming along for the ride and I am hopeful that you are all getting out there and enjoying holidays with your families as well. We don’t earn a fortune but we make holidaying a priority with what we have.
I’m a little excited as I write this because there was recently another Air Asia, these sales are the main reason why we manage to travel to Asia. We have a trip booked to Singapore next year via Kuala Lumpur. Singapore is a bit too expensive for us to stay for 2 weeks so I am keen to book flights to somewhere a bit cheaper.
I have been thinking about Cambodia for a while, in particular Siem Reap to visit Angkor Wat. I have wondered if this would interest the kids because we all know that if the kids don’t have a good time then neither do the parents. Recently there was a tv show that had had an episode on Cambodia which featured Angkor Wat so we got the kids to watch it and they were really enthusiastic and excited to go there. Needless to say I didn’t need to much encouragement so we booked those tickets and we will be going to Cambodia in July next year.
We took them to Vietnam this year and I had my concerns about this too. Vietnam doesn’t have any big ticket items to keep the kids happy but I am glad to report that the kids loved it. We did the same thing with Vietnam before we went and showed them a segment on the Cu Chi Tunnels. The kids were very excited to go there and loved it every minute of it. Sometimes they surprise you!
We had a massive year of travel this year, so what did we get up to in 2015:
1. We started at Sydney for Australia Day Long Weekend and visited some friends and spent a rainy Australia Day in Circular Quay, Craig and I even got a hot air balloon ride in while my friend looked after the kids:
2. Then Airlie Beach, Queensland for a snappy 5 day break in March and visited Whitehaven Beach for the first time, what a great experience that was, it is by far the most beautiful beach in Australia. The kids went snorkelling in the ocean for the first time:
3. Keira and Mum went to Sydney again to visit Bella and see the premier of Cinderella and had a lovely weekend with her best friend. We try and get up to Sydney a few times a year to say hi & spend a weekend with Bella and her family:
4. At Easter in April we headed off to southern NSW to pick up our new camper trailer. We then took it back to camp for Easter at Cape Conran in Gippsland, Victoria with some friends and had brilliant weather and great fun exploring on the beach:
5. Next up, June long weekend and we headed off to Apollo Bay and the Great Ocean Road with my sister and her husband. We had a lovely time and won the meat raffle at the local pub! Its been a long time since I have visited the 12 Apostles so it was great to head down to that iconic Victorian attraction again!
6. At the end of June the kids and mum headed off to Tasmania on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry, that was a great experience and not the best introduction to cruising with a very rough crossing but we made it and dad flew over after work to meet us for the weekend. Craig went home on the Sunday and the kids and I stayed the rest of the week and did some touring in the north of the state including Cradle Mountain, Bay of Fires, Launceston, Beauty Point and Mole Creek Caves.
7. Then in early August we had an impromptu trip to Perth to visit Craig’s dad and our step nan. We had a brilliant time and spent the Sunday doing a 10km circuit of Rottnest Island. We love Perth and we had brilliant weather for the middle of winter so we were chuffed! For the record, its law to wear those helmets in Australia!!:
8. Next up in September, the big one, Vietnam. There are many cheap flights to Vietnam these days, I would strongly recommend a trip to Vietnam if you have the opportunity. Craig and I honeymooned in Vietnam 12 years ago and were super excited to get back there. We went to a lot of sights that we had already seen but it was great to have the kids along for the ride this time. We had the opportunity to stay in the most amazing resort, An Lam Resort at Ninh Van Bay and the kids loved the plunge pool outside our villa. We also visited the Cu Chi Tunnels, Mekong Delta, Vietnamese Water Puppets, Cyclo City Tour in Ho Chi Minh City and Nha Trang:
9. For the first time we had a long weekend in Victoria for the AFL Grand Final with the Friday before the game recently being declared a public holiday! Gotta love Victoria! So off we headed in the new camper trailer to Wilson Promontory in Gippsland, Victoria for some fun, again we had awesome weather for that time of year but unfortunately I got a bout of gastro which wasn’t so fun, needless to say there’s not much to report on that trip!
10. In October Keira and I headed back to Sydney to visit Keira’s best friend Bella. We had a lovely time and did an independent Home and Away tour, made famous from a long running Australian soap called Home & Away. The Aussie’s will recognise that pier outside the diner:
11. In typical Victorian fashion, we also have a public holiday for the Race that Stops the Nation, the Melbourne Cup and we headed off to Porpunkah near Bright on the Great Alpine Road. I love Bright, its such a beautiful spot. I was really excited to get back there in the camper trailer. We were right on the Ovens River in a relaxing tranquil spot.
So that was the year that was! We are heading off on Boxing Day to go back to Porpunkah. We enjoyed it so much we decided to go back for the Christmas/New Year break.
Next year is shaping up to be an exciting year of travel, we already have 5 trips booked or in the planning process but more about that next year.
Lets hope that you have something planned for next year too and if so I would love to hear about it, please update us on where you will be going in the comments below.
Sal & Co.